2011-02-28

Dancing with Myself

I wrote a bit, before Arisia, about dancing without partners, all by yourself in a big crowd of people bopping and gyrating and generally having a madcap time of things. "Club dancing" is probably the best umbrella term for it, as it is indeed the sort of thing one does inside a club. (Or at least I assume --I've only ever done it at conventions, with blinky lights and a thousand geeks).

That's only one form of dancing with yourself, though. There's another way to dance by yourself, and that's to close the doors and draw the blinds and clear out a space of your very own. Put music on the computer, the stereo, the ipod. Listen to it, and dance.

There are similarities between club dancing and solitary dancing. The movements are oft the same, flailing arms and legs, shaking hips, jumping and bouncing and twirling around. But solitary...solitary I can shake off even that last pervasive edge of people thinking I look like an idiot. I can move by myself, and I can move for myself. That's important, moving *for* oneself. It means I'm not afraid to get a little silly.

I was doing it some last night, having a melancholy evening filled with Vienna Teng. Her song "Between" is actually an excellent waltz, or cross-step waltz.. I've danced it by myself half a dozen times since the last time I was lucky enough to have a partner. It's becoming one of those songs, where you know every line and note and chord, that you just don't want to share anymore. Cross-step can be adequately danced alone --you just have to not fear swooping a little more than intended.

I also danced to her song "The Tower", which I had never danced before. This is the really interesting part of dancing all alone, to random songs from my 10k+ collection. What kinds of movements get paired with what songs, and with what moods. It's not always the same, after all.

The Tower surprised me by being sharp. I found myself moving in ways reminiscent of the two years I spent doing kung-fu --no actual figures or forms worked into my dance, but the flow reminded me, the quick steps, the give and take of the arms. I'd like to dance it again, to see if that's always the case. Ah, but finding a space where I can dance alone is not always easy --sure the stage at school works, but not if the auditorium is locked, or full.

I always feel different after I do it. It heals, it stabilizes, and yes sometimes it reopens old wounds. Regardless of the mood in which I start, and the mood in which I finish, dancing solitary always makes me feel whole, feel like myself and only myself. Not too shabby for some made-up moves strung together on impulse.

2 comments:

Carol Townsend said...

I'm a non-dancer (well, that's not exactly true, but it's close enough) and therefore will probably have a ton of questions every now and then, so if you don't mind enlightening the newbies, I'll go ahead and ask them when the pop up.

I know how to waltz, but what's a cross step waltz and how is it different from a plain waltz?

Katarina Whimsy said...

@Carol: I am SUPER FINE with answering questions! I might not get to them for most of a month, but I'm still happy to do so.

The regular turning waltz I do consists of:

long step forward with a half turn (right leg)
step to the side (left)
close (right)
long step around with a half turn (left leg)
step to the side (right)
close (left)

The lead and follow dance those same six bars, ad nauseum, with the follow first starting at "long step forward" (on their right leg) and the lead first starting at "long step around". (on their left)

The basic cross-step waltz doesn't turn, and looks like this:

Step across the body passing one leg in front of the other
Step to the side
Close
Step across the body passing one leg in front of the other
Step to the side
Close

In this case, the follow starts with their left leg, and the lead with their right.

(The turning cross-step is the same basic steps, but instead of just stepping across the body, one steps across and around)

The first thirty seconds or so of this video does a pretty good job of showing the standard turning cross-step:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V2BLHpVBT4&feature=related

Hope that helped!